Latest News

3Novices:Muslim women accused of terrorism by French restaurant owner

BOBIGNY // Two veiled women who were told by a French restaurateur that all Muslims are terrorists before being forced to leave the restaurant complained to authorities on Monday, an anti-Islamophobia campaign group said.

The Collective against Islamophobia in France (CCIF), which is supporting the women, said the incident represented a "racist shift" in French society as prosecutors opened an investigation into possible "religious discrimination".

The encounter at Le Cenacle restaurant in Tremblay-en-France outside Paris was filmed by one of the two women and posted online. It shows the other woman saying: "We don't want to be served by racists."

The man in the smartphone clip responds that "racists like me don't plant bombs and don't kill people". He added that "terrorists are Muslim and all Muslims are terrorists. I don't want people like you in my place. Now you know it you can get out".

The restaurateur later apologised to the "entire Muslim community" for his actions as calls to boycott his establishment flooded social media sites alongside negative reviews.

The CCIF said it intends to pursue a civil claim against the man and would press for "exemplary damages" to end the "impunity of Islamophobic violence and discrimination".

It also accused the government and France's political class of being responsible for creating a climate in which such incidents can occur.

The row comes amid an ongoing national debate about the wearing of the burqini.

Around 30 French towns have banned the burqini from their beaches, with some mayors linking the bans to the extremist massacre of 84 people in Nice last month.

Sone mayors have vowed to maintain their burqini ban despite a ruling by France's highest administrative court that the prohibitions are unconstitutional.

* Agence France-Presse



http://ift.tt/2bMZzrV
3Novices Europe

Designed by 3Novices Copyright ©2011-2015

Theme images by Bim. Powered by Blogger.